The Greater New York
Recognizing student journalists for creativity, curiosity and courage in telling stories that promote
One student will represent The Roger Rees Awards at
Any 11th or 12th grade high school student located in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, or Westchester, as well as Nassau, Orange, Rockland, or Suffolk counties during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Courage in Leadership
Inspired by the themes in the critically acclaimed Broadway production, The Prom, students must write a 500-word feature story or produce a 2-minute news story about a school principal, teacher, administrator, or student who has demonstrated courage by promoting inclusiveness within his/her school or community.
To learn more about The Prom, please visit www.ThePromMusical.com
- Send your name, school, grade and email address along with your Courage in Leadership themed story to Katie Winger at Katie@campbroadway.com
- Post your story and representative photo or video to Instagram using hashtags:
Entries must be received no later than 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time, Friday, April 19, 2019.
Update: Submissions no longer being accepted – thank you to all those who participated!
Tony® Award-winning producer of The Prom, Dori Berinstein, will lead a panel of judges to be announced.
Entries will be judged based on originality, subject, use of descriptive language and quotes, and overall impact of the story to inform and inspire the reader.
The winning student will be notified on/before Monday, April 22, 2019 and will receive:
- Title of Best Student Reporter in the Greater New York Region
- Submission by The Roger Rees Awards to the National High School Musical Theatre Awards® (aka The Jimmy Awards®) National Student Reporter contest. *Note: Only students whose schools are registered for The Roger Rees Awards are eligible to move on to The National High School Musical Theatre Award’s National Reporter Contest. Students whose schools are NOT participating in The Roger Rees Awards are eligible to win all other prize offerings.
- (4) tickets to see The Prom
- Publication of his/her story winning story on The Roger Rees Awards website
- The opportunity to co-host The Roger Rees Awards Facebook Live Pre-show on Sunday, May 19 prior to the awards showcase.